German is the most widely spoken language in Europe.
German is an official language in seven European countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, and Belgium
German is a key business language in the European Union and in the rapidly growing market of Central and Eastern Europe
German is widely used as a business and scientific language in Europe, Russia, and parts of Asia.
German culture has had a substantial impact on the United States: according to a 1990 census, more Americans (25%) can trace their ancestry to Germany than to any other country. More than 60 million Americans are at least partly of German heritage.
Why Study German at AU?
- Courses are taught by faculty recognized for outstanding teaching.
- Join more than 150 undergraduate students in German who have successfully obtained Fulbright, Konrad Adenauer, and DAAD Grants for study in Germany and Austria during the last 20 years.
- Join AU undergraduate students in German who have been accepted into graduate programs on German related topics at prestigious universities in the United States and abroad (Harvard, Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, New York University, Vanderbilt, and University of Freiburg).
- Join the AU Gamma Lambda Chapter of Delta Phi Alpha, the National German Honor Society.
- Participate in Internships and Co-ops at prestigious German organizations in the Washington Metropolitan Area and in Germany.
German BA Degrees
German BA degrees
German Course Offerings
Recent German course offerings include:
- Studies in German Film
- Business German
- German Civilization
- Introduction to German Translation
- Germany and WWII Reparation